Friday, September 24, 2010

Wanna Write a Villanelle?

          Okay, so today we were working on Friday Workshop, so therefore I began my first writing challenge: a villanelle, which is a type of poetry that uses repetition, has a specific rhyme scheme, consists of 4 tercets, one quatrain, emphasizes meter (unstressed and stressed syllables), and has 19 lines. Confused? Don't worry. This weekend I'll be working on my villanelle and blogging about my process, but if you're interested you can visit this website, where I got instructions: http://nansmorsels.com/poetryblog/?p=106.
          I wanted to be able to active read the instructions, so I decided to print them off. Then the computer decided to get temperamental, and like a stubborn child, refused to print. After about 20 minutes of having to open and re-open the document, I finally asked my teacher who told me to use her computer to print. Printing it to Room 402, I signed my planner and went to grab it. Waiting there it looked like a print job was already going on but boy did a lot of people forget to grab their stuff! There was a pile at least an inch thick!
          After I minute of waiting, I decided, "Okay. This is ridiculous. Who would've printed this many copies? I'm sure glad I'm not that person." Just out of curiosity, I looked at the bottom of the pile and saw: "How to Write a Villanelle". Oh shootttttttttttttttttt...I'm dead meat. Frantically I push the Cancel button, and it keeps saying, "Job Cancelled", "Job Cancelled"...but it wasn't cancelling! By this point people are starting to stare.
          I sprint back to the L.A. room track speed to try and find my teacher, but she's not there. I bolt to her computer and check to see just how many copies I printed...one. O-N-E. Synonyms: single, solitary, lone, sole. Yeah, no where there was there "100 copies". I accidentally printed it again during this, but even then it should have been no more than four pages...not 200. I run back and see my L.A. teacher there with the science teacher, considering it is his room, and he's like, "How many did you print?" And I'm like, "One! I swear! I just checked it! It said only one copy was printed!"
          So there you have it...I probably killed a tree, earned (if you can call it earned) a blonde moment point, but we have our year supply of scrap paper for L.A.! And a lot of instructions on how to write a villanelle.

Yours,
Megan ;)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the villanelle.....it is better than Michael Mack's villanelle that you showed as an example. You are a very good writer.....you must take after your mother:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks ;) wink wink I wonder who's writing???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this! Now I think that the ELA teacher will have to teach a lesson considering that you printed enough copies for all her classes. Ha
    -Julia-

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah that's exactly what I told her!
    -Megan ;)

    ReplyDelete